Monday, November 8, 2010

open faced apple sandwhich

I thought I would start this blog out with a healthy snack.  The only tools you will need is a grater, spatula, peeler, and a small frying pan.
This dish only has three ingredients, an apple, cinnamon, and a slice of whole wheat bread.  I suggest using homemade bread or good whole wheat bread from a bakery.  This bread is more healthy, and you can choose how thick you want your slice.  I will usually cut my slice a bit thicker (about as thick as my thumb) for this dish so it is strong enough to hold together after the apple is placed on it.

First step is to peel the apple.  I leave the top and bottom of the core so that I can hold the apple without it slipping out of my hands while I grate it. 
After the apple is peeled I grate it directly into the pan, and sprinkle some cinnamon.  I put about 2 tsp of cinnamon on mine but that measurement is not written in stone, just make sure you don't overload your dish with cinnamon, you don't want to over power the taste of the apple!  I don't add any sugar because my red apple is sweet enough.  If you use a granny smith apple I suggest putting about 1 tsp of honey in so the dish isn't too tart.
cook the apple on medium heat for 5 minutes, or until all of the apple has softened and is warmed all the way through.  Occasionally stir the apple with a spatula to prevent the apple from burning.  I also  added a small handful of crushed walnuts to add a bit of texture to the dish.  If you don't have walnuts no worries, the dish is still tasty without them.  While the apple is cooking put a slice of whole wheat bread in the toaster.

After your bread pops up place it on as plate and spoon the apple onto the bread.  In the end you have a nice warm treat for those breezy fall days without a lot of fat or calories.

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh that looks yummy! My kids might actually eat something like that.!!! Thanks Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this blog is totally professional- the pictures look fantastic- how did you come up with this idea of the grated apple on toast- what an amazing girl- love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey mom, I got the idea from Zuzana, she is a personal trainer in Europe with a website called bodyrock.tv. I get a lot of ideas from her, her workouts are easy to do at home because they require little or no equipment. She's awesome you should go check her out!

    ReplyDelete