Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Gingerbread house


This was my first gingerbread house.  I have always loved gingerbread houses and I was always intimidated by the idea but it really wasn't that bad.  I made the gingerbread using the same recipe found in my other gingerbread post labeled 'Gingerbread dogs'.  I doubled that recipe and added about 1/2 a cup of flour to make the cookie a bit stronger for building. 

To make the pattern copy these measurements using a ruler and a piece of paper.  Cut out the measured pieces and place them on the rolled out gingerbread.  Cut it out using a small knife.
To make the base I just trimmed my remaining dough into this shape and made sure it was longer than 7" and wider than 6".

To make the windows and the door I just cut squares free hand.  To make the door I just cut a square out of my left over dough.  Before baking off the pieces with windows smash up some lifesavers, I used red and orange ones.  Fill the window holes with the broken pieces of lifesavers, after the dough has been cooked the lifesavers will make a glass look which light can be seen through.

To make the Royal icing, which will be your glue you will need:


3 egg whites
1 tsp of vanilla
1/4 tsp of peppermint extract
4 cups of powdered sugar
Beat the egg whites, vanilla, and peppermint extract until the eggs resemble the picture above.  This will take about 2-3 minutes.  Put your mixer on low and slowly add the powdered sugar, after all of the powdered sugar has been added turn your mixer back on high and beat until you have glossy peaks.

While gluing the gingerbread house together use bottles to help support the walls until the frosting has hardened.  Before adding the roof wait a couple of hours to ensure that the walls are firmly in place.

After everything has been put in place decorate it however you like.  I placed mine on a cardboard base which I cut a hole in.  I also cut a hole in the bottom of my gingerbread base.  I bought a flame less candle which is battery operated and placed my gingerbread house on top of it.

I can't wait to eat it!

1 comment: