Wednesday, February 16, 2011

home made protein bars

These protein bars kind of taste like no bake cookies, only not as sweet.  They are super easy to make and they don't have all the weird ingredients that store bought protein bars have in them.
Chocolate Protein bars
10 tbsp organic peanut butter
5 egg whites (make sure they are pasteurized)
5 scoops of chocolate protein powder
2 cups of rolled oats
1/2 cup of soy milk
1 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp cinnamon

First mix the peanut butter and egg whites.  At first they will not mix together very well, place them in the microwave for 30 seconds and then mix again.  Repeat this step 4 or 5 times until the egg whites and peanut butter are completely mixed and creamy.  This may cook the egg whites enough but I'm not at all sure so to be safe I would use pasteurized eggs.











Gradually add the protein mix one scoop at a time.  When this is fully mixed add the cinnamon, honey, and soy.  Now at this step I noticed that I had a huge sticky glob in a puddle of soy milk which I couldn't mix.  To fix this I set up a double boiler, as my sticky chocolate glob heated up it was easier to mix in the soy milk.  To avoid this step I would add the soy milk first right after the microwave step and then add the protein mix at the very end.




Set your chocolate mix aside and place two cups of rolled oats in a shallow frying pan.  Lightly toast the oats to bring out some flavor and then add them into your chocolate mix.








Lightly spray a 13x9 inch pan with non-stick spray and pour your mixture in.  Make sure it is level and then place it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. 

After it has cooled down, cut it into ten bars by cutting five pieces one way and then cutting that in half the other way.

When I removed the bars they were still very sticky so I placed them in the freezer for about 30 minutes.  This made it easier and less messy to wrap the bars in foil.  Store in the refrigerator.  These bars are about 230 calories,  9 grams of fat, 19.5 grams of protein, 16 grams of carbs.

I eat every three hours, five meals a day.  This protein bar is one of my meals.

I know a lot of my posts have been unhealthy so I thought I would throw something in that is fun to bake and is also good for you.  I will try to post some more of my healthy meals on here but I will also continue to post the unhealthy ones too cause after working so hard during the week I think we all deserve a little indulgence.

2 comments: