Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Banana cupcakes with Nutella frosting


I had a jar of Nutella in my cupboard that has been there for a long time.  Today I decided it was time use it, and since I love the combination of Nutella and bananas I decided to make banana cupcakes.  I also wanted to try out piping, something I've never done before.  It was a lot of fun even though what I did was pretty basic.  I think many piping creations are in my future.

For the banana cupcakes you will need:

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 stick of melted butter
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups of mashed bananas (about 4 bananas)

For the frosting:
8 oz of cream cheese
1/2 cup Nutella
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Whisk together the dry ingredients.  If you live at a high altitude make sure you are adjusting the amount of baking powder you are putting into your mixture.  Make a well in the center and set aside.













Use ripe bananas, I bought these a week ago and let them ripen on my counter top.
Mash the bananas using a fork or a hand held potato masher.  Add the rest of the wet ingredients and whisk them together until mixture is semi-smooth.
 Pour the wet ingredients into the well you made earlier.  Using a spatula mix the dry and wet together.  Don't use a beater because you don't want to over mix this recipe.  As soon as you can no longer see the dry mixture stop mixing.
Fill the cups about 3/4 of the way full.  Mine made a bit more than 12 cupcakes.  This is okay just make sure you fill the empty cups in the pan with water so that everything gets cooked evenly.

Cook for about 20-25 minutes.

In order to make sure they are done, insert a toothpick into the middle of one, If the toothpick comes out dry it is done.  Remove the cupcakes and allow them to cool.








To make the icing, beat together the cream cheese, vanilla, and Nutella.  Slowly add the powdered sugar.

Using a medium star pastry tip, place your pastry bag in a cup and using a spatula fill it with your frosting.
Don't fill the bag to the top, other wise you will have frosting coming out of the top while you are decorating.
Garnish the cupcakes with powdered sugar, and enjoy!  Store in an airtight container otherwise the frosting will harden.


1 comment: