Thursday, September 29, 2011

Jalapeno Jelly

Jalapeno Jelly
This year I had a hard time with my garden.....but I still kicked butt at growing peppers!  Peppers must love my soil cause it seems to be the only thing I'm good at growing.  Last year I made salsa with my peppers, but they had such a pretty color so I thought I would try jelly.  Jelly can be pretty intimidating but it really isn't that bad.  This recipe is very simple.

You will need:
12 oz of Jalapenos stemmed, and seeded (about 25 peppers)
2 cups of cider vinegar, divided
6 cups granulated sugar
2 pouches of liquid pectin
food coloring optional

First prepare your jars and lids.  The recipe calls for five 8 ounce jars but I used about 8.  In order to prepare the jars and lids you can either boil them or just put them through your dishwasher.  Next prepare your peppers.  Wear rubber gloves for this step, you may not feel it while you are cutting the peppers but the acid is burning your skin.  If you are really sensitive you may want a face mask.  I didn't wear a mask, and it wasn't as bad as habaneros but I still coughed and choked a bit.  You don't even have to have your face that close to the peppers, just being in the kitchen can cause you to choke on the smell of the peppers.
 
Cut off the stems, remove the seeds, and cut into quarters.  Add 1 cup of the vinegar and all of your peppers in a blender or food processor.  Blend until the peppers are smooth.


In a big stainless still pot, add the rest of the vinegar, sugar, and jalapeno juice.  Bring to a boil over high heat, stir constantly on this high boil for ten minutes.  Stir in the pectin and boil for another minute.  Remove from heat and if you are using food coloring add a couple of drops.  If your jalapenos are green use green food coloring to enhance the color.  Skim any foam off the top and pour into your prepared jars.  Leave about 1/4 inch of head space at the top.  Before putting the lid on make sure you wipe the rim.  Any food particle can cause the lid not to seal.


Place jars in a canner, cover completely with water and bring to a boil.  Boil for ten minutes...If you are at a higher elevation follow this chart:

feet:                                      Increase processing time
1,001-3,000                          5 minutes
3,001-6,000                          10 minutes
6,001-8,000                          15 minutes               
8,001-10,000                        20 minutes

Since I live in Utah I had to increase for 20 minutes....for a total of 30 minutes.
When removing the jars keep them level, and place in an area they wont get knocked over.  Leave them for about 24 hours.  The next day check the lid and make sure it has sealed.  You can eat this with crackers and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment