Friday, September 30, 2011

Tomato soup

Tomato Soup: Ingredients harvested from my garden


Have you grown more tomatoes then you know what to do with?  Here is a tasty solution.  Soup is awesome cause you can add whatever you want.  I added one jalapeno, some onions, and garlic.  I also used fresh oregano and thyme from my herb garden.  In the picture I had some eggplant.  In the end I decided not to add the eggplant just because I wanted to keep it simple.
















You will need:
4 cups of diced tomatoes
2 cups beef broth
1 jalapeno
1 cup of chopped onion
3 large cloves of garlic
fresh oregano
fresh thyme
pepper
salt
2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP flour
2 TBSP butter

chop up your tomatoes, jalapeno (remove the seeds...unless you want it super spicy) garlic, and onion.  In a large pot add the broth and your chopped veggies.  Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes.
blend your veggies until smooth.  Set aside while you make your roux.  Roux is a mixture of flour and fat...usually butter.  It is a thickening agent for sauces and soups.

Melt the butter and then add the flour.  whisk while you are cooking and let cook until browned.  A bit more browned then this picture shows.  I didn't have time to take a picture of the done roux cause I was afraid it would burn while I took the picture.  When you have a nice brown look add a bit of the pureed tomato.  Whisk together, then add the rest of the tomato.  add the sugar, then add pepper, salt, thyme, and oregano to taste.





No comments:

Post a Comment